Have you lost your passport? Until you obtain a new Passport with full validity, you can get a Short Validity Passport. Temporarily, the applicants can apply for a Short Validity Passport. After the clearance, the Passport issuing authority in India will issue a new passport to the applicant. A passport is an official travel document issued to eligible persons who are seeking to visit different countries across the world. The concerned department of the Indian Government issues a Passport to the individuals who meet certain eligibility rules. Generally, a Passport is issued to people with at least 10 years of validity. However, the validity for the passports issued to minors will remain until they turn 18 years. After that, they need to apply for a new passport. If you want to apply for a passport only for a short period of time, you can get a short validity passport. To know the detailed procedure on how to apply for a short validity passport, let’s go through this simple guide. Check it out!
Table of Contents
- What is a Short Validity Passport?
- Who Can Apply for a Short Validity Passport?
- Documents Required for Short Validity Passport
- How to Apply for Short Validity Passport?
- Short Validity Passport Fee
- Renewal of Short Validity Passport
What is a Short Validity Passport?
Wondering what is short validity passport? A Short Validity Passport is a temporary passport issued to an individual that comes with a short period of validity. Usually, short validity passports are issued to the applicants in various cases. Some of them include a lost passport, a travel passport for an individual who has a criminal case, and more. A person having a pending criminal case on him/her is issued a short validity passport to travel abroad upon receiving written permission from the court. In general, a Short Validity Passport is issued to an individual with one-year validity. If you want to arrange a passport for a short period, just go with the Short Validity passport. In this article, we also covered more information about the Short Validity Passport, the application procedure, circumstances that drive you towards applying for an SVP, fee particulars, required documents, and more. Take a quick look!
Who Can Apply for a Short Validity Passport?
A Short Validity Passport India will be issued to individuals under various situations. Short Validity Passports are usually issued to students, individuals who have criminal cases on them, Indians staying abroad, and more. A Short Validity Passport India will be issued to the applicants in some extreme circumstances, subject to the concerned authorities’ approval. Some of the circumstances include the following:
A Short Validity Passport will be issued to the students in case they are seeking to travel abroad to take part in an international examination such as TOEFL, SAT, PTE, etc. In case of urgency or emergency, the applicant can apply for the Short Validity Passport. But, such individuals may not be able to apply for the passport through regular platforms. In such a situation, the processing time would be more. If you still want to apply for the Short Validity Passport then, the application form can be processed through the Tatkaal Scheme. The applicants must submit the application form along with the evidence of emergency and a verification certificate is mandatory as per the internal rules and regulations of the Passport issuance authorities.
2. Criminal Cases
In case, there is a pending criminal case on an individual and planning to travel abroad, he/she can apply for a Short Validity Passport. Still, this type of passport will be issued only on the condition that the court issues written permission to the applicant as the criminal case is pending. In such a situation, the Short Validity Passport will be issued to the applicant for 1 year depending on the court permission.
3. Indians Staying Abroad
Indian individuals who are residing abroad and seeking to travel India for a short period then, they can apply for a Short Validity Passport. In such a case, the SVP is issued to the applicants immediately without any delay. However, the Short Validity Passport issued in this case is also valid for 1 year from the issuance date. During the return journey of that individual, the passport would be issued only after showing the return ticket to the residing country. The applicant must submit some other relevant documents along with the return ticket.
4. Late/Non-Delivery of Passport
There might be some circumstances where the passport of the applicant doesn’t reach him/her correctly due to some issues like loss during transportation, and others. In such a situation, the applicant can extend the passport’s validity to full term passport i.e., 10-year validity upon going through all the essential formalities.
Documents Required for Short Validity Passport
Even if you are seeking to apply for a short validity passport that comes with a short validity period, you need to submit some of the crucial documents. In this post, we listed the required documents for Short Validity Passport India. Check it out!
- Aadhaar card
- PAN card
- Telephone bill
- Voter ID card
- Water bill
- Arms license
- Gas connection proof
- Income Tax assessment order
- Municipal birth certificate
- Parent’s passport copy (in case of minor individuals)
- Bank Passport of the Applicant
- Freedom fighter identity card
- Pension document (It includes widow pension order, old age pension order, and more)
- Photo identity cards (issued by the State Government, Central Government, PSU, public limited companies, and more)
- IT Assessment order
- Railway identity card
- Rent agreement (registered copy)
- SC/ST/OBC certificate
- Spouse’s passport copy (1st and last page)
How to Apply for Short Validity Passport?
To understand how to apply for a short validity passport, just go through this in-depth guide. The application process for the Short Validity Passport will be different for the individuals applying from India and overseas applicants. Whether you are an Indian applicant or an abroad individual, you can understand the application procedure in this guide. In this article, we explained the step-by-step procedure to apply for a short validity passport online. Check it out!
1. Indian Applicants
If you are an applicant from India, you can apply for the Short Validity Passport through the official website of the Passport Seva portal. Follow the simple steps furnished below:
- At first, go to the official website of Passport Seva Portal from your device.
- On the homepage of the website, you need to tap the ‘New User Registration’ option in case of a new user.
- Applicants who have already registered on this portal need to use their Username and Password to log into the portal.
- If you are a new user, you can register for the first time by filling in some of the vital credentials.
- Using the OTP received on your registered mobile number, you can create a new Login ID and Password.
- Once you are done with the registration process, head to the login page and log into the portal using the login credentials.
- On the home page of the website, you can find the link to apply for a short validity passport.
- Choose the type of passport you are looking for and the scheme type i.e., Normal or Tatkaal.
- Under the Passport Type, you need to select the Short Validity Passport option.
- On the next screen, fill in the vital details in the application form. Hit the submit button.
- Submit the application form to the concerned authorities.
- Further, the applicant must make payment for the Short Validity Passport application.
- We mentioned the Short Validity Passport fee particulars in the article below. Check the fee details and pay the processing fee.
- You can then book an appointment at the nearest PSK to apply for a Short Validity Passport through the Tatkaal scheme.
- On the date and time of the appointment, you need to visit the Passport Seva Kendra. Make sure you carry all the relevant documents at the scheduled time.
- The passport issuing officer/granting officer will verify all your documents and the application form.
- After the completion of the verification successfully, the Short Validity Passport will be issued to the applicants within a period of 1 to 3 days.
- The concerned person can further receive the Short Validity Passport in person from the corresponding Passport Seva Kendra.
This is an easy procedure to apply for a short validity passport online for Indian applicants.
2. Overseas Applicants
- Applicants from abroad who are seeking to apply for a Short Validity Passport need to follow the application procedure given below.
- Initially, the applicants need to follow the aforementioned procedure for the registration and application form.
- The individuals need to submit the application form and the relevant documents in person at the Indian Consulate in the country where the person is residing.
- Further, the applicant must pay the processing fee and undergo the verification procedure of all the submitted documents and the application.
- The concerned authorities will finally issue the passport to the applicant.
- The individual can directly visit the Consulate or designated centre in his/her country and collect the Short Validity Passport in person.
Short Validity Passport Fee
Short Validity Passport Processing fee depends on the scheme type of the passport i.e., Normal and Tatkaal. Processing fee details for Normal and Tatkaal Short validity Passports are given below:
Normal Scheme: Rs. 1000
Tatkaal Scheme: Rs. 3000 [$50 or €40]
Validity of Short Validity Passport
The validity of the Short Validity Passport would be decided by the corresponding authority based on the circumstances. Generally, the short validity passport India will be valid for a certain period i.e., between 1 year and 5 years. However, it depends on the type of application and the reason behind the application. Mostly, the Short Validity Passport is issued to an individual with a validity of 1 year.
Renewal of Short Validity Passport
The renewal of the Short Validity Passport is in the hands of the Assistant Passport Officer. Based on the discretion of the Assistant Passport Officer, the Short Validity Passport will be renewed to the applicant. The maximum validity period of the Short Validity Passport for which the applicant can renew is 10 years.
Short Validity Passports can be issued to the applicants based on their circumstances and conditions. We hope this guide on how to apply for a Short Validity Passport has given adequate details. For more doubts regarding this topic, feel free to ask us in the comments space. Stay tuned to MoneyCompass to learn more about the Indian Passport, application procedure, types of passports, and more.