Indian citizens can apply for different types of passports based on their requirements and eligibility. People who are planning to travel abroad on official duty for the Government of India can apply for a Diplomatic Passport. If you want to know complete details about Diplomatic Passport, its benefits, eligibility details, the procedure to get a Diplomatic Passport, and more. Have a look!
Table of Contents
What is a Diplomatic Passport?
Wondering what is Diplomatic Passport? A diplomatic passport is issued to Indian citizens who are seeking to travel to any foreign country for official purposes or government-related assignments. Mostly, Diplomatic Passports are issued to diplomats and consul workers, and individuals working for the government under specific jurisdiction. People who have diplomatic status can apply for Diplomatic Passport India. The Diplomatic passport holders obtain a Type D passport. It comes with a maroon cover. At some of the airports, separate passport checkpoints will be set up for checking the diplomatic passport holders. Even if a person holds a diplomatic passport, they cannot get any special privileges.
Diplomatic Passport Eligibility in India
The Diplomatic Passport India will be issued to the citizens who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- All the Government officers who belong to the Indian Foreign Services [Branch A] whilst travelling abroad on an official visit.
- Wife/Husband/Dependent Son/Official Hostess/Dependent Daughter/Dependent Parents of an eligible official while they are travelling abroad with the government employee and their dependent status recognized by the ministry.
- Selected employees from Indian Foreign Services [Branch B] and officers in the Ministry of External Affairs [MEA] and other ministries travelling abroad on an official visit as decided by the Foreign Services Board in MEA.
- Family members of the individual may be issued a Diplomatic Passport for study or other purposes in a different country. Further, these passports must be surrendered to headquarters once the official’s assignment is terminated or when the individual’s post is altered.
- An individual is granted the diplomatic status due to his or her position or nature of the foreign mission. For those, the Central Government will issue the Diplomatic Passport.
These are the eligibility details for the citizens to get Diplomatic Passport India Eligibility.
Documents Required for Diplomatic Passport
The applicants willing to apply for a Diplomatic Passport need to submit a copy of the following documents:
- A copy of the filled application form online
- PMO or Political Clearance Certificate [If needed]
- Official Identity Card
- A certificate issued by the Head of Office
- Official Request Letter from Forwarding Officer
- 2 photos with white background [Need to be attested on 1st and 2nd pages]
For people who already have a passport, the following documents must be submitted:
- Diplomatic Passport [Re-issuance applications]
- Original Diplomatic Passport for cancellation
- In case, the Diplomatic Passport is under the safe custody of the Ministry of External Affairs, carry the original Surrender Certificate or Safe Custody Certificate
- If the Diplomatic Passport has been canceled by MEA, carry the Original Cancellation Certificate
- Ordinary Passport holders need to submit a Certificate of Safe Custody
- Government employee retiring in less than 6 months from the date of application must submit an undertaking from the individual’s office
How to Apply for Diplomatic Passport?
If you are not fully of the procedure on How to Get a Diplomatic Passport, we are here to explain it clearly. The individuals can apply for the Diplomatic Passport at the Consular, Passport and Visa Division [CPV] situated in New Delhi. The citizens can even apply for the Diplomatic Official Passport at the passport office nearest to their current address. The individuals can apply for a Diplomatic Passport via online form submission. In this post, we furnished the detailed procedure to get the Diplomatic Passport. Check it out!
- First of all, go to the official website of Passport Seva Portal.
- On the home page of the website, you can tap the link ‘New User Registration.’
- Enter the crucial details in the registration form and submit the details.
- Use the login credentials to log into the portal.
- On the home page, you can click the link ‘Diplomatic/Official Passport.’
- On the next page, you can find the link to download the application form for Diplomatic Passport.
- In the application form, fill in the vital details and hit the submit button.
- After submitting the details, take a hard copy of the filled application form by tapping the link ‘View/Print Submitted Form’.
- Carry the printout of the application form along with some original documents to the Consular, Passport, and Visa [CPV] Division, Patiala House in New Delhi [Passport Office].
- Make sure you attach the present address to the application while submitting them to the passport office.
That’s all! This is the easy procedure to get the Diplomatic Official Passport via online form submission.
Benefits of Having a Diplomatic Passport
There are some Diplomatic Passport India Benefits for the Diplomatic Passport holders. In this post, we furnished the significant advantages of the Diplomatic Passport. Check it out!
- The Diplomatic Passport Benefits differ from one country to the other country.
- While traveling, the Diplomatic Passport holder can access the diplomatic channels of the airports and it will not be subject to time postponing and customer checks.
- The Diplomatic passport holder will get free diplomatic vehicle license plates [CC or CD] and the corresponding passport raises the business success of the diplomat.
- The diplomat will be free from any kind of tax that the individual needs to pay for traveling on land or air. As a result, the person can travel abroad quickly at affordable prices.
- The individuals can enjoy assured activity and movement across international platforms. The immigration inquiries at the airports will be diminished.
- The diplomat is free of tax liability on income from outside the host nation. The diplomatic passport holder has not only approved the individual’s acceptance of the diplomatic appointment but also obtained a diplomatic passport that doesn’t have to pay tax on income that comes from other nations and states besides the host country.
- The diplomats can enjoy diplomatic immunity as per international law and the residence of diplomats is extended sovereign status. Even in the native country, the diplomat’s benefits are off-limits to all the governments and their agents.
Diplomatic Passport FAQs
Usually, people get some doubts about Diplomatic passports regarding their benefits, issuance, and more. Here are some of the frequently asked questions regarding the Diplomatic Official Passport along with answers. Check it out!
- Do IAS Officers Get Diplomatic Passport?
In general, IAS Officers will not be issued Diplomatic Passports unless they visit a foreign country on diplomatic duty. In such a case, IAS officers will get white official passports and they can be used for official purposes. For personal travel, individuals can use a normal blue passport.
- Do MPs Get Diplomatic Passport?
The Members of Parliament and their spouses can get Diplomatic Passports that are issued by the Ministry of External Affairs, Patiala House in New Delhi.
That’s all! This is all you need to know about the Diplomatic Passport, Diplomatic Passport India Benefits, eligibility details, and application procedure. If you have any doubts, just ask us in the comments section. Stay tuned to this website to get more articles regarding passports, and more.