A Passport is an important document issued to individuals who are seeking to travel across different countries in the world. It is a vital travel document that comprises significant details of the individual such as the holder’s name, gender, date of birth, nationality, and more. Besides a travel document, a passport is also considered identity proof for various documents. The Indian Government issues a duplicate passport to the applicants if their passport is lost, stolen, damaged, and others. Sometimes, people might lose their passport, damage, or in some emergencies. In such a case, they seek to apply for a duplicate passport. To know how to get a duplicate passport, we explained the complete guide in this article. Have a glance!
Table of Contents
A Passport is a vital travel document that works as an identity document for individuals. A Duplicate Passport can be applied by an individual who lost his/her original passport, damaged, or stolen. In some rare cases such as the death of a member of your family, and other situations, an emergency certificate is issued to that person. Such individuals can apply for a duplicate passport through the official website.
When Should you Apply for Duplicate Passport?
People can apply duplicate passport online in various situations such as a stolen, lost, or damaged passport. Get to know more about the exact situation when should you apply for a Duplicate Passport. Check it out!
If you have been using a passport for several years then, there might be situations where it could be damaged. A damaged passport is divided into categories i.e., a partially damaged and a fully damaged passport. In case of a partially damaged passport, the name, photo, and passport number of the individual will be visible clearly. In the case of a fully damaged passport, the aforementioned details won’t be visible clearly. In case of a partially damaged passport, the applicant can apply for a Tatkal passport. On the other hand, for a fully damaged passport, the applicant must follow the entire procedure to the online application for duplicate passport.
If an individual loses his/her passport, he/she must file a report at the nearest police station immediately. Further, they must notify the same at the passport office as well. The Indian individual who resides in any foreign country must contact the Indian Mission immediately to report the loss of passport. Later, the person can apply for a duplicate passport. For that, the applicant must fill in the application form online or at the Passport Seva Kendra [PSK]. The applicant must submit all the crucial documents along with the application form. The issuance of a duplicate passport might take at least 7 days without involving police verification. If police verification is done, it takes at least a month for the passport issuance.
The Indian individual who lost his/her passport at the time of travelling abroad but they are in urgent need to enter India due to an emergency situation then, the Indian passport holder can apply for a duplicate passport. During emergency situations such as the death of a family member, the applicants can apply for a duplicate document.
How to Apply for Duplicate Passport
Wondering how to get Duplicate Passport? Individuals can easily apply duplicate passport online from the official website. The duplicate Passport application process is quite simple on the official website of Passport Seva Kendra. Based on the requirement, the individuals can apply for a Duplicate Passport in the Tatkal scheme or Normal. Here is the complete guide about the online application for duplicate passport. Check it out!
- At first, go to the official website of Passport Seva Portal from your device.
- The Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India manages the Passport Seva portal.
- On the home page of the website, you will find the tab ‘Online Services’.
- From the drop-down menu, you can choose the type of service being applied for. It includes the ordinary passport, diplomatic passport, identity certificate, surrender certificate, and police clearance certificate.
- Upon choosing the relevant option, you will be redirected to a new page.
- On that page, you need to register on the Passport Seva portal.
- If you are a new user, register on the portal by filling in some of the vital details.
- Create a new account by entering some of the crucial information. A link will be received by the applicant using which he/she can activate the Passport Seva account.
- Further, you will be navigated to a new page wherein you need to fill in the application form online.
- Enter the crucial details and submit the application form.
- Finally, you will get an acknowledgment on your mobile phone. Using the application id, you can easily track the status of your passport application. By visiting the Passport Seva portal online, the applicants can track the status of the passport application.
- At the time of applying for a duplicate passport, the applicants must submit a fresh passport application form. The application form for a duplicate passport will be identical to the new passport form. Individuals need to tick the Re-issue of Passport option under the ‘Applying For’ section and choose the relevant option from the furnished list:
- Exhaustion of Pages
- Lost Passport
- Expired Validity within 3 years
- Damaged Passport
- Change in Previously mentioned personal details
- Validity Expired more than 3 years
For duplicate passport issue, it might take at least 3 to 4 days in the case of the Tatkal scheme. In such a case, the applicants need not undergo police verification. On the other hand, the applicants who apply for a duplicate passport in a normal scheme, they need to undergo police verification. It takes at least 30 days for the issuance of the passport. After submitting the application form online, the applicants need to attach copies of all the required documents. In this post, we furnished the list of required documents below. Just go through the article.
Documents Required to Apply For Duplicate Passport
Before heading to understand the online application for duplicate passport, the applicants need to arrange some of the crucial documents. Here is the list of required documents that are essential to apply duplicate passport online. Check it out!
For Proof of Address
- Aadhaar Card
- Electricity Bill
- Registered Rental Agreement
- Passbook of the applicant holding an active bank account comprising a photograph
- Election Photo ID Card
- Water Bill
- Passport copy of the Spouse
- Passport Copy of the Parent
- Gas Connection Proof
- Landline or Postpaid Mobile Bill
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Certificate from the Employer on the letterhead of esteemed companies
For Proof of Age
- Birth Certificate [Issued by the Registrar of Birth and Deaths and the Municipal Corporation]
- Election Photo Identity Card
- Aadhaar Card
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- In case, the applicant is an orphan, the declaration from the Head of the Orphanage or Child Care Home on the official letterhead confirming his/her date of birth.
- Semi-literate or literate Applicants: Affidavit affirmed before a notary confirming the place and date of birth (Annexure ‘A’)
- School Leaving Certificate or Secondary Certificate comprising the date of birth
- Policy Bonds issued by the Public Life Insurance
- Present or Ex-Government Employees may provide copies of their service record or pay pension order duly attested by the officer or concerned department or ministry in-charge
- No Objection Certificate as per Annexure M or Prior Intimation Letter as per Annexure N
- Affidavit as per Annexure L, comprising the reason behind application of a duplicate passport [Lost or Damaged]
- Police Report [FIR]
An individual doesn’t need to submit a photocopy of the previous passport. However, relevant information mentioned in the previous passport such as the date of issue, place of issue, date of expiry, passport number, and more must be submitted with the passport application form. If the applicant doesn’t have the above-given details, he/she must contact the embassy officials.
Duplicate Passport Fees & Charges
The individuals who are seeking to apply for a duplicate passport need to pay a specific fee. However, the amount that an individual must pay depends on different factors such as the application mode, the total number of pages in the booklet, and more. The applicants can easily pay the Duplicate passport Fees online through net banking, credit card, or debit card. In the case of the application for Tatkal passports, the applicants need to pay an additional fee in cash. The applicants can pay the cash for Tatkal passports directly at the Passport Seva Kendra at the time of the interview.
|Reason for Duplicate Passport||Total number of Pages||Fee for Normal Passport||Fee for Tatkal Passport|
|Replacement of passport due to theft/damage/loss||36||Rs. 3, 000||Rs. 5, 000|
|Replacement of passport due to loss/damage/theft||60||Rs. 3, 500||Rs. 5,500|
That’s all! This is everything you need to know about the Duplicate Passport. We assume this guide on how to get Duplicate Passport, application procedure, required documents, fees, and charges, and more. If you still have any doubts or queries, just ask us in the comments space. Stay tuned to our website to get the latest updates about the Indian passport, types of passports, and more.