Are you planning to study abroad? Millions of students travel abroad to pursue higher education and utilize the abundant employment opportunities available in foreign countries every year. Getting admission to the topmost universities and colleges in different countries is a challenging process. One of the key phases of travelling to any foreign country is the Student Passport application. Indian students mostly prefer studying in foreign universities to utilize better career options. Considering this inclination of the Indian students towards pursuing education abroad, the Indian Government has begun issuing special student passports to the ambitious folks. Obtaining a Student Passport and Visa application is highly significant for individuals to join a prevalent university abroad. Applying for a passport and the processing time and ultimately the issuance of the passport is a cumbersome process. However, the passport apply for student procedure and the issuing time of the same will be the same as the regular passport. If you are seeking to apply for a Student Passport, get to know the application procedure, student requirements for passport, and more. Have a glance!
Table of Contents
- Student Passport
- Who can Apply for Student Passport?
- How to Apply for Student Passport in India?
- Documents Required For Student Passport
- Student Passport Fee
- How to Renew Passport for Students
A Student Passport is issued to the students who are willing to study abroad for higher studies. Every year, millions of students from India travel to foreign countries to gain exceptional skills and obtain knowledge on their selected course. Mostly, students from India often lookout for ample opportunities to study abroad. This way, the students can fulfill their dream of getting the best job in their preferred field. To get admission into popular universities and colleges, students need to plan their travel prospects. It is highly important to get a passport and apply for a Visa to study abroad. Go through the complete process of obtaining a passport apply for student explained in this article.
Who can Apply for Student Passport?
There are certain eligibility guidelines for an individual to apply for a student passport. We curated the list of eligibility criteria that the applicants must check before heading to understand the student requirements for passport. Check it out!
- The permission of parents is very important to apply for a student passport, in case of minors.
- Parents of the applicant can attest all the essential documents in case of a minor applicant.
- Applicant’s present address proof must be in the name of the parent.
- If the applicant’s parents have a passport, they can carry the original alongside self-attested copies of the same to the Passport Seva Kendra.
- If the student’s age is 18 years, they are considered as adults. Hence, they need not produce their parents’ consent. Such applicants can self attest their own documents.
- Minor applicants are also eligible to have a Non-ECR [Emigration Check Required] until he/she is below 18 years of age.
How to Apply for Student Passport in India?
Individuals who are planning to passport apply for student must fill in some of their vital details in the passport application form available on the official website. Applicants need to carry the same along with the payment receipt copy to the PSK to submit all the documents to the concerned authorities. The students need to know that the entire process of issuing a passport might take at least 25 to 30 days. To help the students, we provided a detailed guide on how to apply for a student passport in India along with the information regarding the student requirements for passport. Check it out!
- First of all, go to the official website of the Passport Seva portal from your device i.e., at passportindia.gov.in.
- On the home page of the website, you will find the link ‘Register Now’ in case you are a new user.
- On the next page, you will be prompted to fill in the vital details such as the personal details, professional details, and residential address of the applicant.
- On the same page, the students can create a new login id and password using the OTP. One-Time Password will be received by the applicant to his/her registered mobile number.
- After successfully registering as a new user, you can log into the portal to further proceed to the passport application.
- Enter the login ID and password in the given fields. Hit the Login button.
- On the next screen, you need to select the applicable option i.e., Fresh or Reissue.
- In the case of a fresh student passport, you will be redirected to a new page wherein you need to fill in the application form.
- Enter the crucial details in the application form and hit the submit button.
- You can then make payment for the passport application. Applicants can pay the application fee through different modes of payment. Individuals can pay the stipulated fee through internet banking, debit card, credit card, and SBI Challan.
- The next step is to book an appointment with Passport Seva Kendra using the link ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’. You can find this option under the section ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications.’
- Once you are done with scheduling an appointment at the nearest PSK, you need to take a printout of the application receipt by tapping the link ‘Print Application Receipt’.
- The application receipt comprises your Application Reference Number [ARN] or appointment number. The receipt also comprises the time and date of the applicant’s appointment.
- On the date of the scheduled appointment, you can visit the designated Passport Seva Kendra.
- Make sure you carry all the originals of the documents required for passport for students to the PSK. For safety purposes, carry some of the self-attested copies of the original documents as well.
- Besides the required documents, carry a copy of the online application receipt and online payment receipt to the PSK.
- In case, you don’t have an online payment receipt, you can also carry an SMS receipt.
- Go to the Pre-Verification counter to collect your token.
- Once you get your turn, go to Counter A and submit all the relevant documents.
- Further, go to Counter B when you get a call from the concerned authorities. The verification officer will start verifying all your documents and information mentioned in the form.
- Lastly, the granting officer will review your application and decide whether to approve your application or not.
- Once the granting officer grants your application, the corresponding officer will send a request for passport police verification for students.
- After completing the police verification, the report will be issued on the same. If the status of the verification is clear, the concerned authorities will issue the passport. The applicants will receive a police verification report in a printed and laminated form. The report will be directly dispatched to your registered address. This entire process takes at least 25 to 31 days in the general case.
This is an easy procedure to apply for a student passport through the official website.
Documents Required For Student Passport
The individuals seeking to apply for a student passport need to submit some of the documents required for passport for students. The applicants need to make sure that all the documents are valid with precise information. The applicants must attest the below-mentioned documents along with the passport application form and submit all of them at the nearest Passport Seva Kendra. We furnished the list of certificates required for passport for students. Have a look!
For Proof of Address [Must be the Applicant’s Current Residential Address]
- Voter ID Card
- Aadhaar Card
- Latest Utility Bill such as electricity bill, water bill, etc.
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Rental Agreement [Registered Document]
- Latest Telephone Bill – Mobile Bill or Fixed Line
- Photo ID Card issued by the Election Commission
- Photo Passbook of an active bank account [scheduled public and private Indian sector banks and RRBs]
- In case of minors, parent’s passport copy must be submitted [First and Last Page]
For Proof of Date of Birth
- Birth Certificate [Issued by the Municipal Corporation or Registrar of Births and Deaths]
- Matriculation or Secondary School Leaving Certificate/School Leaving Certificate. Certificates issued by recognized boards and educational institutions are valid.
- Driving License
- PAN Card
- Voter ID Card
- Aadhaar Card
Besides the aforementioned documents, the applicants must submit some other documents listed below:
- Bonafide Certificate issued by the corresponding college/institution
- Student ID Card
In case, the applicants are not able to produce the original educational certificates, they can produce a letter stating the same. Applicants can also submit photocopies of the certificates attested by the head of the institution.
Student Passport Fee
Individuals need to pay a student passport fee of Rs. 1500 for fresh passports. At the time of booking an appointment through the Passport Seva Portal, the applicants can make an online payment. Besides online payment, the applicants can also make the payment by generating a challan online and visiting the nearest SBI branch.
How to Renew Passport for Students
Usually, a student passport issued in India is valid for 10 years from the date of issuance. Individuals cannot renew their passports one year before the expiration of the current passport. Once a new passport is issued, the old passport will be automatically cancelled and returned to the concerned person.
That’s all! This is everything you need to know about the student passport, documents required for passport for students, and more. We hope this guide has covered mostly all the points regarding the passport apply for student, application fee, student passport requirements, and more. If you still have any doubts or queries, just ask us in the comments space. Stay tuned to MoneyCompass to learn more about the types of passports issued to Indians and more. Visit this website frequently to know more about a student passport, government employees, etc.