Looking to apply for passport in India? Applying for a passport in India can be done in different ways. People seeking to travel abroad for various purposes such as education, tourism, medical assistance, family visits, business meetings, religious trips, and more require a valid Indian passport. A passport is considered an identity document or license for a person to travel across the world. One can apply for a passport either online or offline based on their convenience. Passport Seva is an official portal where people can apply for a passport in online mode. For those who don’t know how to apply for passport, we have furnished this detailed guide. Let’s go through the in-depth guide to understand the procedure of passport application.
Table of Contents
- How to Apply for Passport in India?
- Documents Required to Apply for Passport
- Passport Application Fee India
- Track Passport Application Status
- Passport Application FAQs
How to Apply for Passport in India?
All Indian citizens who are planning to visit another country must have a valid passport. The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) had launched a new portal with the name Passport Seva Project in 2010. The citizens of India seeking a passport can apply for the same online without any hassle. There are various ways to apply for passport in India. It includes online, mobile app, offline, and e-form. The most efficient and convenient way of applying for a passport in India is through the Passport Seva portal. This article explains different modes of the passport application process. Just take a look!
Apply for Passport Via Online Form
People who want a fresh passport or seeking to reissue their passport can visit the official portal. Check the detailed procedure for online passport application given below:
- Visit the official website of Passport Seva Portal.
- On the home page of the website, you can find the link ‘New User Registration.’
- Just click the link. You will be redirected to a new web page.
- The new user registration form will display on the screen.
- Fill in the key details and tap the ‘Register’ button.
- Click the ‘Existing User Login’ button on the home page after completing the registration process.
- Enter the Login Id and hit the continue button.
- Click on the link to apply for a fresh passport.
- Fill in all the essential details in the provided fields and submit.
- Head to make the payment and schedule an appointment at the nearest Passport Seva Kendra [PSK] in your city.
- Take a hard copy of the application receipt for further reference purposes.
- On the day of the appointment, visit the PSK by carrying essential original documents.
That’s all! This is the easy procedure for the online passport application in India through the official Passport Seva portal.
Submit Passport Application via e-Form
Besides the online passport application India, one can apply for passport in India via e-Form. Check the passport application procedure through e-Form submission furnished below:
- Whether you want to apply for a fresh passport or reissue passport through e-Form Submission, you need to register on the official Passport Seva portal.
- On the home page of the website, you can find the ‘New User Registration’ tab.
- Click the link and fill in the crucial details. Hit the Register button.
- After the registration process, head to log into the portal by tapping the ‘Existing User Login’ tab on the home page.
- Download the e-Form to apply for a fresh passport or reissue of passport.
- Click on the link ‘Forms and Affidavits.’
- You can find the link ‘Download e-Form.’
- To apply for a fresh passport or reissue of passport, click on the provided link.
- Fill in the essential details in the downloaded e-Form and save them.
- An XML file will be generated that can be further uploaded.
- Finish the payment via online mode and choose the nearest Passport Seva Kendra in your city.
- Take a printout of the application receipt and visit the PSK on the scheduled date and time along with important documents.
This is the detailed procedure to apply for passport in India via e-Form submission.
Apply for Passport in Person
If you are exploring how to apply for passport in India, here is the detailed guide. This guide explains the DPC passport application that doesn’t involve any online procedures. Let’s go through the offline procedure to apply for passport in India.
- People seeking to apply for a fresh passport or reissue in person can download the application form from the official portal.
- The application forms will also be available from District Passport Cell.
- Fill the application form and attach the essential documents.
- An official at the DPC counter will verify the filled application form and the attested documents.
- After the verification process, pay the fee via Demand Draft.
- After the fee submission, an acknowledgment letter will be given to the applicant.
- Using the file number present in the acknowledgment letter, the applicants can track the file status.
This is the procedure to submit passport application in person.
Apply for Passport through mPassport Seva App
People who don’t want to spend much time on passport application process can prefer the mobile app. mPassport Seva is the mobile app that helps users to apply for a fresh passport or reissue the passport. The mPassport Seva App has been launched in 2018 for Android and iOS users. Through this app, the users can apply, pay and schedule appointments for a fresh passport or reissue passport. This app has been designed and launched specifically for Indian citizens. Check the procedure to understand how to apply for passport using the mPassport Seva app.
- Initially, download the mPassport Seva app on your Android or iOS device.
- Install and launch the app.
- Register as a new user and choose the nearest passport office in your city from the menu.
- Fill in the vital details and submit.
- A verification link will be sent to your email for account activation.
- After the registration, login and apply for a fresh passport.
- Fill the application form and finish the submission process following the on-screen instructions.
- Pay the application fee and visit the passport office on a scheduled date for document verification.
Documents Required to Apply for Passport
The applicants must submit some essential documents whilst applying for a passport. To apply passport online India, the required documents include:
- Fresh Passport Application Form
- Address Proof
- Date of Birth Proof
- Documentary Proof for Non-ECR categories
For Address Proof, any of the documents listed below can be submitted:
- Electricity Bill/Water/Telephone Bill
- Gas Connection Proof
- Aadhaar Card
- Rental Agreement
- Photo Passbook of operating Bank Account
- Passport copy of spouse
For Date of Birth Proof, any of the documents mentioned below can be submitted:
- Aadhaar Card
- PAN Card
- Birth Certificate
- Driving License
- Transfer Certificate/Matriculation
- Declaration issued by the Child Care Home or Orphanage on official letterhead confirming the date of birth of the applicant
- Service Record of the Applicant [Copy]
These are the vital documents required to apply for a fresh passport online or offline.
Passport Application Fee India
The applicants need to pay a specific amount as the passport application fee at the time of application submission. The passport application fee in India depends on some of the key factors. It includes the type of passport, type of service [fresh or reissue], age of the applicant, number of pages in the booklet, and required scheme [normal or tatkaal].
- To apply for a fresh passport or re-issue of passport with 36 pages booklet, the passport application fee is Rs. 1500.
- To apply for a fresh passport or re-issue of passport with 60 pages booklet, the passport application fee is Rs. 2000.
Track Passport Application Status
Till now, you have seen how to apply for passport online. Now, you can track the application status in different modes. The applicants can track their online passport application form status from the portal. Using the file number and date of birth, it’s easy to track the application status.
Another way to track your passport application status is by sending an SMS to 9704100100. Enter the 15-digit alphanumeric file number in the body of the SMS.
SMS Format: STATUS <<SPACE>> FILE NUMBER, Send to 9704100100
For people who use the mPassport Seva app to apply for a passport, the application status can be tracked from the app itself. On the app, you can find a tab ‘Status Tracker’. The users can keep a track of their application status through the app easily using the file number and date of birth.
After the passport apply online procedure, these are the different ways to track passport application status.
Passport Application FAQs
People may have several questions in mind before the online passport application. To help the readers, we furnished some of the frequently asked questions along with precise answers. Check it out!
Can we edit the passport application form after submission?
No, it is not possible to edit the passport application form after submission. However, at the time of verification, the concerned officials will refer to original documents at the PSK.
How to check passport application status?
Using the file number and date of birth, the applicant can track the passport application status from the official portal.
Can a passport application be rejected?
Yes, a passport application can be rejected if you don't pay the fee in the stipulated time. Some other reasons include mistakes on the application form, incorrect documents, police verification not done, criminal history, and more.
Can I convert a normal passport application to Tatkal
No, there is no provision for people to convert a normal passport application to Tatkaal. However, if you have any proof of urgency, you can visit the Passport Office and request for conversion.
What is the file number in the Indian passport application?
The file number in the Indian passport application is the reference number given to the applicant at the time of the passport application. People can use this number to track their passport application status.
Is permanent address necessary for applying for passport?
No, it is not mandatory to have a permanent address on the passport. However, it is important to mention the current address as the same will be printed on the passport.
What is the validity of the Indian passport?
The validity of the Indian passport is 10 years i.e., issued for the ordinary residents in India. For minors, the passport validity is constrained to 5 years.
How many days does it take to get passport?
Usually, it takes about 8 working days to get an appointment at the nearest Passport Seva Kendra in your city. After the processing, the passport will be issued to the applicant in about 4 weeks. If the application is done in Tatkaal mode, the passport will be issued in one or two weeks.
Is Aadhaar card necessary for applying passport?
No, Aadhaar card is not mandatory to apply for a passport. The applicants can submit any of the documents as proof of address and date of birth proof during the application submission.
Well, this is the complete guide on how to apply for passport. Hopefully, this guide has given enough information on how to apply for passport online in India. In this guide, we also explained other ways for passport application i.e., offline and through a mobile app. For more doubts and queries, just ask us in the comments section. Stay tuned to our website MoneyCompass to get related articles and more information on the passport application in India.