A passport is an important travel document issued to every citizen of India comprising vital information of the person to visit different countries. Information printed on the passport must be highly accurate as it represents the identity of the individual. Changing the women’s surname in the passport after marriage is quite common. Due to some personal issues, married people prefer permanent separation. Divorced people think of altering the details on their passports. In such a case, women need to change their surname after divorce in the passport. For people who are looking forward to understanding the procedure on how to change my name on my passport after divorce then, this is the right guide. In this in-depth article, we provided the step-by-step procedure for passport name change after divorce, required documents, and more. Have a glimpse!
Table of Contents
How To Change Name In Passport After Divorce?
Do I have to change name on passport after divorce? Well, this could be the main doubt that most people have in case of separation from their partners. Passport Issuance authorities have provided a facility for women to update or change their names on passports after separation from husband. One can travel with their passport in their current legal name. In the case of divorced women, they can change the name in the passport and then travel across different countries.
Due to divorce, if your name has been altered legally then, you need to apply for a Passport Name Change After Divorce before travelling to another nation. The individuals can easily name change in passport after divorce online i.e., through the official Passport Seva Portal. If you are planning to change name in passport after divorce, you need to apply for a reissue of passport in the first place. Whether you want to remove your life partner’s name on the passport or thinking of changing the name, applying for a reissue of passport is quite important.
To change the surname in the passport after divorce, you can head to the official website of Passport Seva Portal and apply for a ‘Reissue of Passport’. After making specific changes to the name in the personal details section, you need to submit some of the relevant documents alongside the application form. Once the officials verify your documents and request for a Name Change In Passport After Divorce, they will issue a passport with the changed name. This guide gives you a clear explanation of how to change my name on my passport after divorce. Check it out!
Steps To Change Name In Passport After Divorce
The entire procedure for the Name Change In Passport After Divorce is explained precisely in this article. Follow the easy steps furnished below to change name in passport after divorce through the official website of Passport Seva Portal:
- At first, go to the official website of the Passport Seva portal from your device i.e., at https://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/welcomeLink.
- On the home page of the website, you can find a tab ‘Document Advisor’ under the section ‘Before You Apply’.
- A series of links will be displayed on the screen.
- Click on the link ‘Documents Required for Reissue of Passport’.
- On the next page, you will be prompted to choose the type of application i.e., normal or tatkal.
- Select the applicant category, employment type from the given fields.
- Tick the checkbox – [Yes or No] in case the applicant’s current address is different from the existing passport.
- Tick Yes or No if the applicant is eligible for Non-ECR Category. Click on the continue button.
- On the next page, it asks for the reason for the reissue of the passport.
- Choose the option ‘Change in Existing Personal Particulars.’
- From the drop-down menu, you need to select the option ‘Change of Name.’
- In the sub-options, you need to choose the option ‘Following Divorce’ i.e., the divorcees applying for a change of name.
- Hit the Continue button.
- You can then find the list of required documents for passport name change after divorce on the next screen.
- Log in to the portal using the registered Login ID and Password.
- Select the option ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/Reissue of Passport’ from the given options.
- Further, you need to fill in the essential details in the application form regarding the name change in the passport after divorce.
- Hit the submit button.
- You will be redirected to the payment page once you click on the link ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ under the section ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications.’
- As per your convenience and time, you can schedule an appointment online.
- It is quite important and mandatory to make an online payment for booking an appointment at the nearest Passport Seva Kendra or Passport Office.
- Take a printout of the application receipt for further reference purposes.
- The receipt comprises the application reference number [ARN] which is considered an important number for the applicant.
- Visit the Passport Seva Kendra or Regional Passport Office on the scheduled date and time along with the relevant original documents.
That’s all! This is an easy procedure to change the name on the passport after divorce.
Documents Required To Apply For Name Change In Passport After Divorce
Applicants need to submit some of the crucial documents at the time of applying for a name change in their passport after divorce. Check out the complete list of required documents furnished below:
- A copy of your old passport
- A self-attested copy of the Divorce Certificate or a Copy of Divorce Decree issued by the court
- Deed Poll depending on Annexure E provided in the Passport’s Instruction Booklet.
- A Filled-in Copy of Form No. II for Miscellaneous Services.
The aforementioned documents must be produced at the time of visiting the Passport Seva Kendra alongside a nominal fee. After the submission of required documents, the applicant will be informed of a specific date to collect his/her reissued passport. The passport issuing authorities will inform the applicant regarding the date to collect the reissued passport. The whole application process might take at least 4 to 6 weeks. Sometimes, you can request the concerned officials to speed up the process within 2 to 3 weeks.
Well, this is the complete guide on how to change my name on my passport after divorce. We hope this article has given adequate information about the required documents and the entire procedure for the name change in passport after divorce. If you have any doubts on this topic, feel free to ask us in the comments space. To know more about the passport-related services, application procedures, etc., visit our website frequently. Stay tuned to our website for more related articles on Indian Passport, types of passports, and more.