Looking for the Passport Reissuance? A Passport is one of the vital documents issued to an individual for the eligible citizens of India. With a Passport, an individual can travel to different countries across the world i.e., outside India. The Ministry of External Affairs, Passport issuing authorities issue a passport to the citizens that in turn allows them to visit abroad i.e., any foreign country for various reasons.
In some cases, people might find their passport damaged or validity expired or lost passport. There could be several other reasons behind the Passport reissuance in India. In such circumstances, the individuals can apply for the Reissue of Indian Passport. Applicants can get to know the procedure of the Reissue of passport in this detailed guide.
In this article, we covered the vital procedure for reissue of passport, required documents for the passport application, fee particulars, and more. Have a glance!
Table of Contents
Reissue of Passport
A passport is a vital travel document issued to Indian citizens and it also acts as a significant identity proof and address proof of the passport holders. It allows the passport bearers to travel globally and serves as proof of Indian citizen. The passport authorities issue a passport to the individuals with a validity of 10 years. In case, the passport is damaged or lost, the individuals can apply for the Reissue of Passport.
Passport reissuance and passport renewal are completely different. If the passport validity is expired, the bearers can apply for a passport renewal. On the other hand, the applicants need to apply for the reissue of passport in case of the exhaustion of pages in the booklet, damaged or lost passport, change in applicant’s details, and more. To know when to apply for a Reissue of Indian Passport, just go through this guide.
When to Apply For Reissue of Passport?
Individuals can apply for a Reissue of Passport in some critical circumstances. There are a variety of reasons behind the application for passport reissuance in India. In this post, we furnished the list of reasons to apply for the reissue of a passport online. Check it out!
- Validity of Passport has expired or due to expiry of the passport within 3 years
- Change in personal particulars of the applicant such as name, address, and date of birth
- Exhaustion of pages in the passport booklet
- Validity of Passport has expired for more than 3 years
- Damaged Passport or Destroyed in any way
- In case, the passport is misplaced or the passport’s whereabouts are not known to the passport holder, the bearer needs to file an FIR at the local police station. Applicants must submit the FIR alongside the application form for the passport reissuance.
If you come across any of the aforementioned situations, you need to apply for the reissue of passport.
How to Apply For Reissue of Passport?
Wondering How to Apply For Reissue of Passport? There are two different ways to apply for the reissue of passport i.e., online and offline. For those who are worried about the procedure of passport reissuance, this is the right guide. We provided the step-by-step procedure to apply for the reissue of passport through online and offline modes. Check it out!
Method 1: Online Application
Follow the simple steps provided below to apply for the Reissuance of passport through the official website of Passport Seva Portal. Check it out!
Step 1: Registration Online
- First of all, go to the official website of Passport Seva Portal i.e., at passportindia.gov.in.
- Soon after visiting the official website’s home page, you will find the options for new registrations.
- If you are a new user, you need to click on the option ‘New User, Register Now.’
- By tapping the option, you will be redirected to a new page wherein you need to fill in the crucial details such as the passport office, name of the applicant, date of birth, email id, login id, and password.
- Choose a hint question and enter the answer in the given fields.
- After creating a login id and password, you will be prompted to enter the Captcha code displayed on the screen.
- Click on the ‘Register’ button. The applicant will get an activation link on his/her registered email. By clicking on the link, it gets activated and redirects to the Passport Seva account.
- You will receive a confirmation message stating that your account has been activated and you can head out to apply for the passport reissue process.
Step 2: Passport Reissue Application Login
- Go to the official website of Passport Seva from your device.
- As you have successfully registered on the official Passport Seva portal, you can access your account using the vital login credentials.
- On the left-hand side of the screen, you will find the option ‘Existing User? Login’.
- Enter the Login Id and Password in the provided fields. Hit the Login button.
Step 3: Apply for Reissue of Passport
- On the next page, you will find a list of options from which you will find the link ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/Reissue of Passport.’
- Just click on the link ‘Apply for Fresh/Reissue of Passport.’
- On the next page, you will find two alternative links to apply for the fresh or reissue of passport.
- Select the application form to fill in either online or offline.
Step 4: Fill in the Application Form
- If you choose Alternative 1, you will be redirected to fill in the application form for the reissue of passport online.
- Enter valid details in the application form such as the applicant’s personal details, residential address details, emergency contact information, and others.
- Choose the type of passport, application type, number of pages in the passport booklet, normal scheme or tatkaal scheme, and other details.
- Make sure you check all the information that you have filled in the form is precise before submitting the application form. In case, you find any typos, rectify them then and there as you may not have a chance to change them later.
- If everything is clear, you can click on the button ‘View Saved/Submitted Application’.
Step 5: Book an Appointment
- It then prompts you to book an appointment at the nearby Passport Seva Kendra.
- If you want to book an appointment at the Passport Seva Kendra, you must finish the online payment beforehand.
- At the time of scheduling an appointment, you need to choose a convenient slot i.e., select the date from the available date.
- Click on the option ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’.
Step 6: Make Application Fee payment
- You will be redirected to the payment page wherein you must choose the mode of payment.
- Select the relevant payment mode i.e., credit card or debit card or challan or net banking from the list of options.
- Enter your card details and finish the Passport Reissue Fees online.
- You will receive a message stating that your payment has been done successfully.
Step 7: Print Receipt
- You will then get an auto-generated application receipt.
- Take a printout of the application receipt and carry it to the Passport Seva Kendra wherein you have already scheduled an appointment.
Step 8: Visit the PSK
- On the scheduled date and time, visit the passport Seva Kendra carrying the relevant documents, application form printout, and the receipt.
- The passport issuing authorities will verify all your documents and reissue the passport within 15 days from the date of application.
That’s all! This is the easy procedure on How to Apply For Reissue of Passport through the official website.
Method 2: Offline Application
Another method to apply for the reissue of Indian passport is through the offline mode. If you want to apply for the passport reissuance offline, you can head to the Passport Seva Portal. Follow the simple steps furnished below to apply for Reissue of Passport through offline mode:
- First of all, go to the Passport Seva Website from your device.
- On the home page of the website, you will find a section ‘Forms and Affidavits’.
- Click on the option ‘Reissue of Passport’ and download the related e-form.
- Further, you need to download the Police Clearance Certificate [PCC] from the same website.
- After downloading both forms, you need to take a print of them.
- Enter the vital details in the application form manually.
- Fill in the forms with precise details such as the applicant’s name, date of birth, address, age, old passport’s booklet number, the reason for reissue of passport, and more.
- Attach all the relevant documents required for the passport reissuance.
- Submit the documents alongside the application form at the nearest Passport Office or PSK.
- The vital documents that must be submitted at the PSK include address proof, identity proof, old passport booklet, etc.
- For quick processing of the application, the applicants can upload the completely filled Police Clearance Certificate to the official website.
That’s it! This is all you need to know about the procedure on how to apply for reissue of passport in offline mode.
Documents Required For Reissue of Passport
Applicants need to submit some of the relevant Passport Reissue Documents to the passport issuing authorities. The major point to be noted is that the applicant will be asked to submit some other essential documents besides the list of documents mentioned in this article. A list of Documents Required For Reissue of Passport that is needed to be submitted by the applicant for the passport reissuance is furnished below:
- Identity Proof
- Address Proof
- Age Proof
- Old passport booklet
- 2 Recent Passport size Photographs
- Self-attested copy of 1st and last 2 pages of the existing passport booklet
- Appointment Application Receipt
Police Verification for Reissue of Passport
Is police verification necessary for Reissue of Passport? After the submission of the application for the passport reissuance, the Passport issuing authorities check whether the case needs police verification. Sometimes, it requires either pre or post-police verification. For example, if the applicant’s name, age, address, and personal details haven’t changed in the application for passport reissuance, the Passport issuing authorities might require a post police verification.
Still, if the passport application for reissuance comprises a different name or address, a pre-police verification might be required. It ensures that the applicant has provided the precise details in the application. On the other hand, the post Police Verification for Passport Reissue might be required based on the records of the passport office and the availability of resources to perform the relevant verifications. There will be exceptions for various types of police verification as per the rules of the passport office for the reissue of the passport. however, the exceptions are based on the following type of applications:
- Reissue of passport in case the passport is lost or misplaced or stolen
- Reissue of passport in case of change in the name of the applicant on the passport
Reissue of Passport FAQs
Here are some of the frequently asked questions regarding the Reissue of Indian Passport, Passport Reissue Fees, police verification requirements, and more. Get to know answers to your doubts and queries as given in this post. Check it out!
Is Police Verification Required For Reissue Of Passport?
The requirement of police verification is based on the records of the passport office and the availability of necessary resources.
What Are The Classifications Of Damaged Passports?
A total of 2 classifications of damaged passports are listed below:
1. Passport is damaged still, it can be read as it comprises a legible name and intact photograph
2. Passport is extremely damaged away from recognition
How Many Days Will It Take To Reissue Passport?
Generally, the whole application process for the reissue of a passport might take about 15 days. Still, if the application is filled in Tatkaal mode, the whole application process might take about 7 to 10 days.
Will Passport Number Change After Reissue?
No, the passport number doesn't change after the reissue of the passport. The number on the passport remains the same. However, the validity of the passport will be changed in the passport.
Well, this is everything you need to know about the detailed procedure to apply for the Reissue of Passport. We hope this guide has given enough information about the process on How to Apply For Reissue of Passport, required documents, fee details, etc. For more doubts or queries, ask us in the comments section. Stay in touch with MoneyCompass for more related articles on an Indian passport, availability of different types of passports, and more.