Want to renew your Passport? Well, there could be various reasons behind a passport renewal in India. Renewing a passport is nothing but updating the travel document so that the passport holder can travel anywhere across the world without any hassle. A passport is issued to an individual with a minimum validity of 10 years. Once the validity expires, the individual must renew the passport. In some cases, the passport holders might fall under critical situations like a lost passport. Such individuals can apply for passport reissue online. There is a slight difference between Passport Renewal and Reissue.
To access the benefits of an Indian Passport without any break, the passport holder needs to apply for the Passport Renewal procedure before the validity expiration. As we all know, a passport is a crucial travel document that also works as an identification proof and address proof of the individual. It is quite important to carry a passport with you wherever you go as it is beneficial in many situations. People who aren’t aware of the Passport renewal process can go through this in-depth guide. Have a glance!
Table of Contents
Indian Passport Renewal
A Passport issued to Indian citizens is valid for 10 years. Before the completion of the validity period, the person must renew it to enjoy uninterrupted passport-specific services. Individuals seeking to renew their passports need to know the Passport Renewal Process clearly. In case, your passport validity has expired, you might be wondering how to renew passport. However, the process is quite simple as we mostly rely on the online procedure in the current era. Individuals who wish to renew passport online need to pay the renewal fee and schedule an appointment at the nearest Passport Seva Kendra through the official website of Passport Seva Portal.
Individuals can apply for a Passport Renewal at least 9 months before the expiry date. It is very important to check the expiration date as most countries need passports to remain valid for about 6 months after travel. As a result, Renewal of Indian Passport before Expiry Date is highly necessary. In case, you are looking for a Renewal of Indian Passport after Expiry Date in India, still, you can renew it within 3 years after the expiration. Just go through the guide!
Indian Passport Renewal Process
Wondering How to Renew Passport Online? The applicants can quickly and easily apply for the passport renewal online through the official website of Passport Seva Portal. If you haven’t registered on the official portal, you need to register as a new user. Otherwise, you can simply proceed to Renew Passport Online using the existing user credentials. Follow the simple procedure furnished below to understand the Passport Renewal Process online. Take a look!
Step 1: Register online
- Initially, go to the official website of Passport Seva Portal i.e., at passportindia.gov.in.
- On the home page of the website, you will find the options ‘Register Now’, ‘Existing User’.
- If you are a new user, you need to click on register now. Fill in the registration form by entering some of the crucial personal details. You need to create a new user id and password. Further, you will get an activation link to your email address. Navigate to your email and click on the link to activate the account.
- If you are an existing user, you can simply tap the Existing User button and proceed to log into the portal.
- Enter the Login ID and Password in the provided fields.
- Hit the Login button.
Step 2: Fill in the Application Form
- After logging into the portal, an option will show up on the screen that says ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/Reissue of Passport’.
- On the next page, you need to select the relevant options for the Indian Passport Renewal.
- Further, you will be prompted to fill in the form with some of your crucial details. Fill in the vital information such as the personal details of the applicant, residential address, family details, emergency contact details, and more.
- Hit the ‘Validate’ button to save a copy of the application form.
- Upload the application form that you have already filled out and hit the submit button. Make sure you check all your details twice on the application form before submitting the form to evade typos and other mistakes.
- Once you are done with the form submission, you will get a message stating that ‘Your application form has been submitted successfully.’
Step 3: Fee Payment & Schedule an Appointment
- You will be redirected to a new page wherein you can find the link ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’.
- Click on the link and you need to select either online payment or challan payment.
- Click on the Next button.
- Select your nearest Passport Seva Kendra location and enter the captcha code displayed on the screen. Click on the Next button.
- On the next page, you need to select the convenient date from the calendar.
- Just tap on the button ‘Pay and Book Appointment’.
- You will be redirected to the payment page wherein you need to select the mode of online payment.
- Finish the payment by entering your credit or debit card details. Click on the Make Payment button. Make sure you don’t close or refresh the page until you receive a message stating that your payment has been done successfully.
- On the date of the Passport Renewal Appointment, make sure you carry all the necessary documents to the Passport Seva Kendra for the verification process.
Once you have finished the payment, you need to tap on the link ‘Print Application Receipt’ comprising the Application Reference Number. Carry the printout to the PSK on the date of document verification or passport interview. For passport renewal, you need to carry the Application Reference Number and the relevant original documents to the Passport Seva Kendra or Regional Passport Office on the scheduled date. That’s all! This is the simple procedure to apply for the Passport Renewal Process.
Documents Required For Passport Renewal in India
Applicants need to produce some of the crucial Documents Required For Passport Renewal. Individuals must gather all the relevant documents in one place that needs to be submitted to the PSK authorities for Passport Renewal Process. On the official website of the Passport Seva portal, you will find the section ‘Document Advisor’.
You can find complete details on How to Renew a Passport and what all documents are essential for the passport renewal on this page. The documents required will vary based on the type of passport i.e., regular or tatkaal for passport renewal, applicant’s age i.e., minor or adult, etc. However, the most basic documents required for Passport Renewal are listed below. Here is the complete list of Passport Renewal Documents furnished below. Check it out!
- Original Passport [Old]
- Aadhaar Card
- Self-attested copies of the First 2 and Last 2 pages of the passport
- Self-attested copy of the observation page [in case the Passport Issuing Authority has made it]
- Self-attested copy of the ECR/Non-ECR Page
- Other relevant document proofs that terminate the need of Short Validity Passport issuance.
- Self Attested Copy of the validity extension page concerning the Short validity passport.
Carry all the originals of the aforementioned documents alongside the Xerox copies to the Passport Seva Kendra.
Indian Passport Renewal Fees / Charges
An individual can apply for the Renewal of Indian Passport before Expiry Date at least 1 year before the expiry. In case, you couldn’t renew the passport before the expiry, and you had to apply for the Renewal of Indian Passport after Expiry Date in India then, you need to fill in some vital details in the affidavit and submit the same. Based on some key factors and elements, the Passport Renewal Fee will be calculated by the passport issuing authorities. The significant factors include the type of scheme, the reason for renewal, validity, number of pages in the booklet, type of application, etc. In the tabular form provided below, we covered the complete information regarding the Indian Passport Renewal Fees structure. Check it out!
|Category||Applicant’s Age||Validity||Number of Pages||Normal Scheme||Tatkaal Scheme||Reason for Renewal|
|Minor||Below 15 years of age||5 Years||36 pages||Rs. 1000||Rs. 3000||Validity Expired/Due to Expiry/Delete ECR/Exhaustion of Pages/Damaged and Expired/change in personal details/Lost|
|Minor||Below 15 years of age||5 Years||36 pages||Rs. 3000||Rs. 5000||Damaged or Lost within the Validity period|
|Minor||Age group between 15 and 18 years||5 Years||36 Pages||Rs. 1000||Rs. 3000||Validity Expired/Due to Expiry/Delete ECR/Exhaustion of Pages/Damaged and Expired/change in personal details/Lost|
|Minor||Age group between 15 and 18 years||10 Years||36 Pages||Rs. 1500||Rs. 3500||Validity Expired/Due to Expiry/Change in ECR/Exhaustion of Pages/change in personal details|
|Adult||Above 18 years||10 Years||36 Pages||Rs. 1500||Rs. 3500||Validity Expired/Due to Expiry/Delete ECR/Exhaustion of Pages/Damaged and Expired/change in personal details/Lost|
|Adult||Above 18 years||10 Years||60 Pages||Rs. 2000||Rs. 4000||Damaged or Lost within the Validity period|
|Adult||Above 18 years||10 Years||36 Pages||Rs. 3000||Rs. 5000||Damaged or Lost within the Validity period|
|Adult||Above 18 years||10 Years||60 Pages||Rs. 3500||Rs. 5500||Damaged or Lost within the Validity period|
If you are interested in calculating your Indian Passport Renewal Fees, the official website of the Passport Seva portal offers an exclusive Fee Calculator. Using the calculator, the applicants can easily check the fees for a fresh passport or application for a passport renewal. In the fee calculator, the applicants need to select the type of application, type of service, applicant’s age, reason for renewal, number of pages in the booklet, required scheme, and others to know the Passport Renewal Charges and fees.
Indian Passport Renewal FAQs
Mostly, people have several doubts regarding the Indian Passport Renewal, fee particulars, Passport Renewal Documents, and more at the time of the application. In case, you have any queries about the application process to Renew Passport Online, we have covered some of the frequently asked questions in this guide. Along with the FAQs, we also answered the queries with precise solutions. Check it out!
- Is Police Verification Required For Passport Renewal With Address Change?
No, police verification isn't required in case of passport renewal. In case, the passport application for renewal has been submitted before or after 3 years of expiry, the system displays clear police verification.
- Can I Renew My Passport Before It Expires?
Yes, the applicant can renew their passports at least 9 months or 1 year before the expiry date.
- Can I Renew Passport Online?
Yes, applicants can apply for the passport renewal online through the official website of the Passport Seva portal.
- How Long Does It Take To Renew A Passport?
In general, the whole passport renewal application takes around 15 days. In the case of the Tatkaal application, the entire procedure takes about 7 to 10 days.
- Can I Renew My Passport Anywhere In India?
The Indian Government has announced that an applicant can apply for the passport renewal from anywhere in India regardless of the applicant's residential address.
- Will Passport Number Change After Renewal India?
No, the passport number doesn't change on the passport even after the renewal in India. Only the validity of the passport will be altered in the passport.
- How Do I Check The Status Of My Passport Renewal?
Individuals can easily check the status of their passport renewal by calling the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY). The center will carry out its operation between Monday and Friday from 8 AM to 10 PM.
These are some of the basic doubts that most people seeking to apply for a passport renewal might have before the application.
That’s all! This is everything you need to know about the Indian Passport Renewal procedure. We assume this guide on How to Renew Passport Online has given adequate information. In this post, we have covered the major elements such as the Passport Renewal Charges, Documents Required For Passport Renewal, and more. If you still have any doubts or queries on this topic, just ask us in the comments space. Stay tuned to this website for more articles related to Passport applications in India, types of passports, renewal/reissue procedures, and more.