Looking to add spouse name in passport? Well, if you have recently married and planning to add your spouse’s name to the passport, you can do that easily either online or offline. Those who are seeking to add the spouse’s name to the passport need to apply for the reissuance of the passport. The procedure of Passport Spouse Name Addition is quite simple. The individuals need to apply for the Reisse of Passport and submit the required documents a the nearby passport Seva Kendra. There are two different methods to add spouse name in passport i.e., online form and e-form submission. In this article, we explained the detailed guide on how to add spouse name in passport. Have a glimpse!
Table of Contents
How To Add Spouse Name In Passport After Marriage?
Want to add spouse name in Passport? There are two different ways to add a spouse’s name to an Indian Passport. In general, the passport holders wish to add spouse name in passport after marriage. After marriage, the couple who wish to travel abroad might feel the need for a passport spouse name addition. In fact, there is no mandatory rule to add spouse name in passport after marriage. This addition is completely based on the choice of the individual.
Usually, women change their surname to their husband’s surname. Hence, if you wish to change your surname in the passport, you can do the same through two different methods. However, in case of some sensitive issues such as Visas or Passports, it is pretty much recommended to add the spouse name in passport. To evade further consequences, the individuals need to add the spouse name in passport.
By changing the surname or adding spouse name to the passport, also acts as marriage proof for the newly-married couple. If you don’t change your surname on the passport without following any cultural customs, you might have to show the marriage certificate as proof of marriage every time you wish to apply for a Visa. To evade such time-consuming matters, you can simply add your spouse name in passport.
The passport holders need to apply for a re-issue of the passport in case you are looking forward to adding your spouse’s name to the passport. This guide explains the complete procedure on how to add spouse name in passport. Check it out!
Procedure To Add Spouse’s Name In Passport
An individual can apply for the Passport Spouse Name Addition through two different methods. One is through the online form submission method and the second method is e-form submission. The procedure of changing the name on a passport might appear like a big deal. But, in fact, this process is quite simple. The procedure of adding the spouse’s name in the passport is identical to the procedure of passport reissuance. Check it out!
1. Online Form Submission Method
Follow the simple procedure to apply for the passport spouse name addition through the online form submission method. Check it out!
- At first, go to the official website of Passport Seva Portal from your device.
- Just click on the link ‘New User Registration.
- On the next page, you will be prompted to enter the relevant details. Finish the registration procedure.
- Further, you need to enter the registered Login ID and Password in the provided fields.
- Hit theLogin button.
- After logging into the portal, you need to click on the link ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport‘.
- Enter the relevant details and submit the application form.
- Further, click on the button ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment.’
- You can then find the link ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ on the screen.
- After scheduling an appointment, you can finish the payment procedure.
- If you have already booked an appointment at a specific PSK or POPSK, or Passport Office, you must mandatorily finish the online payment. The applicants can make an online payment through Debit or Credit Card or Internet Banking. SBI Challan is the offline mode of making the passport reissuance payment.
- Further, tap on the option ‘Print Application Receipt’. The application receipt comprises the Appointment Number or Application Reference Number [ARN]. It is not necessary to carry a copy of the receipt. The individual will receive an SMS including the appointment details for visiting the passport office.
- Make sure you visit the Passport Seva Kendra [PSK] or Regional Passport Office along with the original documents.
That’s all! This is the simple procedure to add spouse name in passport after marriage.
2. E-Form Submission Method
Another simple method to add spouse name in passport is through the e-form submission. Here is the complete procedure for passport spouse name addition through e-form submission. Check it out!
- Initially, go to the official website of Passport Seva Portal from your device.
- On the home page of the website, you can find the link to download the e-Form.
- Once you have finished downloading the e-Form link, you can fill the form with relevant details.
- After filling in your details in the e-Form, you need to hit the button ‘Validate and Save’.
- Immediately, an XML file will be generated. Make sure you safeguard the XML file that will be required for uploading in the system later.
- After that, you need to log into the official Passport Seva Portal from your device using the registered Login ID and Password.
- After fruitfully logging into the portal, upload the previously generated XML file using the link ‘Upload e-Form’.
- Make sure you upload only the XML file as the system doesn’t accept any other files like PDF, etc.
- Click on the link ‘Payment and Schedule Appointment’ present on the screen ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications.’
- Book an appointment on your convenient date and time.
- If you have already made an appointment at Passport Office or POPSK or Passport Seva Kendra, you must finish the payment for the reissue of the passport online.
- Individuals can finish the online payment for reissue of passport through internet banking, SBI Bank Challan, or Credit or Debit Card.
- Further, click on the button ‘Print Application Receipt’. The receipt comprises the vital Appointment Number or Application Reference Number [ARN]. Whenever you visit the passport office, you need not carry the receipt along with the relevant documents. You can simply show the SMS that you have received on your registered mobile number. The SMS comprises the appointment details.
- At last, you must visit the Regional Passport Office or Passport Seva Kendra alongside the crucial original documents.
That’s all! This is the easy procedure to add the spouse name in passport after marriage through e-Form Submission.
Documents Required To Add Spouse Name In Passport
There are a few vital documents that must be required to add spouse name in passport. Check the list of important documents that must be submitted to the passport authorities.
- Original Passport [Existing Passport]
- ECR/Non-ECR Page
- Photocopy of the 1st and last 2 pages of the passport
- In case of short validity passport, Validity of Extension Page is required
- Page of Observation [If any]
These are some of the essential documents required at the time of adding the spouse’s name to the passport. In some cases, the corresponding authorities might ask for some other documents during the application procedure.
FAQs on Adding Spouse Name in Passport
It is quite common for the passport holders to have a few doubts about the passport reissuance especially for the newly-married couples. The main question is whether they need to add spouse name i.e., changing surname in the passport or not. The individuals might have some doubts or queries regarding the Passport Spouse Name Addition. In this post, we furnished some of the frequently asked questions related to the spouse’s name added to the passport. All your doubts are answered in this post below. Check it out!
Is Marriage Certificate Mandatory For Adding Spouse Name In Passport?
No, it is not mandatory to submit a marriage certificate at the time of adding a spouse's name in the passport provided the couple is Indian.
Is It Mandatory To Add Spouse Name In Passport?
No, it is not compulsory to submit a marriage certificate at the time of adding a spouse's name in the passport if the wife and husband are Indians.
Is Police Verification Required For Adding Spouse Name In Passport?
At the time of adding the spouse's name to the passport, police verification is not necessary.
Will Passport Number Change After Adding Spouse Name In India?
No, the passport number will remain the same even after adding spouse name in India.
That’s all! This is the complete guide on how to add spouse name in passport. Hopefully, this guide about the spouse name in passport after marriage has given adequate information i.e., the two different methods, required documents, and the reason behind adding the spouse name in passport. Still, have any doubts or queries about the passport spouse name addition, ask us in the comments section. Stay tuned to our website for more related articles and posts on different types of passports, application procedures, and more.