Looking to change surname on passport? If so, you have landed in the right place. People might come across specific situations wherein they need to change the middle name or surname on the passport. A Passport comprises highly significant details of the passport holder acting as an identity proof of the person. If you are seeking to change middle name in an Indian Passport, you need to follow a certain procedure.
The Indian Passport authorities permit the passport holders to change surname on passport. As a passport is a crucial travel document, it allows individuals to visit different countries across the world with or without a Visa [based on the country you visit]. People planning to change surname in the passport must apply for the reissue of passport online i.e., at the official Passport Seva Portal or at the nearby Passport Seva Kendra. This article explains the complete procedure on how to change surname in passport. Take a look!
Change Surname on Passport
Mostly, people wish to change surname in passport after marriage especially in the case of married women. Some people think of changing the middle name due to a change into some other religion or any other reason. In some other rare cases, some people also think of changing their middle name as per their wish. If you are seeking to apply for a change of middle name in a passport, you need to apply for a reissue of passport by downloading Form No. 2.
For those who are unaware, Form No. II is an exclusive application form required for an individual who wants to utilize various miscellaneous services. By filling out the relevant form and submitting crucial documents, the applicant can easily change the middle name in the passport. This guide explains the easy procedure on How to Add Surname in Indian Passport with simple steps. Check it out!
- Initially, go to the official website of Passport Seva Portal from your device.
- On the home page of the website, you can find the ‘Existing User Login’ button.
- Click on it and enter the registered user id and password in the provided fields.
- Click the Login button.
- After logging into the website, you need to navigate to the Miscellaneous Services section.
- Click on the link ‘Apply for Fresh/Reissue of Passport’.
- Select either online or offline procedure to apply for fresh or reissue of passport.
- If you want to apply online just click on the link ‘Click here to fill the application form online’.
- On the next page, you need to select the option ‘Reissue of Passport.’
- Select the reason for reissue of passport i.e., ‘Change in Existing Personal Particulars’.
- If you want to change your existing personal particulars, just tick the checkbox ‘Surname’ from the list of options.
- Further, choose the type of application i.e., Normal or Tatkaal.
- Select the type of booklet i.e., 36 pages or 60 pages.
- Further, enter the applicant details that include name, surname, gender, marital status, date of birth, place of birth, address, etc.
- Enter your original passport details.
- Further, head to the payment page. Pay the specific amount for the reissue of the passport.
- Book a convenient date and time for an appointment at the nearby Passport Seva Kendra.
- After the payment and scheduling an appointment, you will get a message saying that your application has been submitted successfully.
- Lastly, take a printout of the application form for further reference purposes.
That’s all! This is the complete procedure to change surname on passport.
Documents Required for Surname Change on Passport
Applicants need to submit some of the crucial documents along with the application form either online or offline. Check the list of documents furnished below:
- Existing Original Passport alongside a copy of first 2 and last 2 pages that must be self-attested
- Depending on the reason for the change of surname on passport, applicants must submit the following documents:
- In case, a married woman wishes to Change Surname in Passport after Marriage, such an individual must submit a copy of her husband’s passport alongside a Marriage Certificate Copy. A piece of supporting evidence including a joint photo of the couple with an equivalent affidavit [Annexure D] must be attested.
- In case, the applicant wishes to change his/her surname after remarriage, he/she must submit a copy of the Divorce Decree or Death Certificate alongside a second marriage proof.
- In case of an applicant’s divorce, he/she must submit a certified photocopy of the Decree of Divorce alongside an affidavit or Deed Poll [Annexure E].
- If the situations aren’t any of the above, applicants need to submit an affidavit or Deed Poll [Annexure E] alongside an original advertisement in two daily newspapers concerning the change of name. [However, this document will be accepted only 30 days after publishing the aforesaid document].
All the aforementioned documents [based on the reason behind the change of surname in passport] must be submitted either online or offline i.e., at the Passport Seva Kendra on the date of appointment. After changing the particulars i.e., the change of Surname in Passport, the modified passport will be sent to the applicant within a few working days.
That’s it! This is everything you need to know about the procedure about Change Surname on Passport. We assume this guide on How to Change Surname in Passport has given adequate information such as the required documents and application procedure. If you still have any doubts or queries regarding the Surname change in your passport, ask us in the comments section. For more related articles on passport, stay tuned to our website.