Are you planning to settle abroad with your family? The Indian citizens who are willing to change their passport to foreign nationality can apply for a surrender certificate. After the renunciation of an Indian citizenship passport, the individuals can apply for an Indian Passport Surrender Certificate. People who want to know complete details about this certificate can read on this guide. In this post, we furnished in-depth information on how to apply for the surrender certificate, required documents, fee details, and more. Take a look!
Table of Contents
What is Indian Passport Surrender Certificate?
A Surrender Certificate is issued to the individuals who want to surrender their passport [i.e., cancelled] having Indian nationality and seeking to get another country nationality. Mostly, people who want to cancel their Indian citizenship to acquire foreign citizenship will apply for an Indian Passport Surrender Certificate. In some cases, the diplomatic or official passport holders and other passport holders will also apply for the surrender certificate to acquire an ordinary passport. People who are willing to apply for a surrender certificate i.e., to obtain foreign nationality need to visit the Passport Office in person or online. The concerned person must fill the application form and submit it at the office. In case, you want to get new citizenship then, it is crucial to surrender your Indian passport within 90 days of naturalization [admittance of the individual to the citizenship of the country] in a new country.
Fees to apply for Surrender Certificate
Check the details provided below to know the required fees to be paid to apply for a Surrender Certificate.
- Those who obtained the Foreign Nationality on or after 1st June 2010 need to pay Rs. 5000.
- Those who acquired the Foreign Nationality before 1st June 2010 need to pay Rs. 500.
Indian Passport Surrender Process
Wondering what is the procedure to surrender Indian passport? It’s not a difficult procedure. We help you understand the complete process in this guide in a detailed manner. The Indian citizens willing to surrender their passport for cancellation of Indian citizenship and obtaining foreign nationality can apply for a surrender certificate. There are two different ways to apply for an Indian Passport Surrender Certificate. One is online mode and the other one is e-Form submission. Get to know the Indian passport surrender process explained in this guide.
Through Online Form Submission
Follow the easy steps provided below for the Indian passport surrender application procedure via online form submission.
Step 1: Registration
- At first, go to the official website of Passport Seva Portal.
- On the home page, you can register by tapping the link ‘New User Registration.’
- Finish the complete registration process by submitting the crucial details.
Step 2: Log in
- During the registration, the applicant will get a login id.
- Enter the crucial login credentials to log in to the portal.
Step 3: Apply for Surrender Certificate
- On the home page, you can find a link to apply for Surrender Certificate.
- Click the link and you will be redirected to a new page.
- Enter the vital details in the Indian passport surrender form.
Step 4: Fill the Application Form
- Enter the vital passport details such as the passport number, date of issue, date of entry, and place of issue in the provided fields.
- Tick the reason for surrender checkbox that says ‘Acquiring Foreign Nationality/Renunciation of Indian Citizenship.’
- Enter the nationality or country name of the applicant.
- In the next field, enter the foreign nationality acquisition date in DD/MM/YYYY format.
- Enter the vital details of the applicant i.e., First name, Middle Name.
- Enter the surname in the next field.
- Enter the date of birth, place of birth comprising district, state, and country. Select the applicant’s gender, marital status, and educational qualification.
- Fill in the mark of identification.
- Enter family details such as father’s name, mother’s name along with surname and the spouse’s name.
- Otherwise, you can also enter the legal guardian’s name in the given field.
- In the next field, enter the current residential address of the applicant comprising the house number, street name, village/city, district, state, mobile number, PIN, and email id.
- It is also required to enter the emergency contact details comprising the name and address, and mobile number.
- Lastly, accept the self-declaration. Enter the place name, date, and sign on the bottom right corner of the form.
Step 5: Printout
- Take a printout or hardcopy of the application form by tapping ‘View or Print Submitted Form’.
- Carry the printed application form, original documents, and self-attested photocopies to the passport office and submit the application form.
Through e-Form Submission
Follow the simple steps given below to apply for an Indian passport surrender certificate via e-Form submission.
- At first, go to the official website of Passport Seva Portal.
- On the home page, you can find the tab ‘Forms and Affidavits.
- Click the first option ‘Download e-Form’.
- On the next page, you can find a list of certificates. Click on the surrender certificate e-Form to download it.
- Fill in the vital details such as the passport details, surrender details, applicant information, applicant’s family details, present address, emergency, and contact info in the corresponding fields.
- After filling in the details in the downloaded form, click the ‘Validate and Save’ button.
- It automatically generates an XML file. This file must be needed to upload in the system later.
- Go to the Passport Seva Portal. Register as a new user by entering some crucial details.
- Log in to the portal using the login credentials
- Upload the XML file by tapping the link ‘Upload e-Form’.
- Take a hard copy of the filled application form by tapping the link ‘View or Print Submitted Form’.
- Carry the application form, original documents, and other certificates to the passport office. Submit the application form.
Passport Surrender Certificate FAQs
People who want to get a surrender certificate might have some doubts and queries about the same. For such individuals, we have furnished the frequently asked questions along with accurate answers in this post. Check it out!
- How long does it take to get an Indian passport surrender certificate?
It takes about 10 to 15 working days to get an Indian Passport Surrender Certificate after the processing.
- What happens if the Indian passport is not surrendered?
If the passport is not surrendered up to 3 years and the person has travelled more than once after getting a foreign passport, a penalty of Rs. 10000 will be imposed on the individual. A penalty of Rs. 10000 will be imposed on each travel on the Indian Passport. The aggregate penalty on travel shouldn't exceed Rs. 50000.
- Is Police Verification required to get a Surrender Certificate?
No, Police Verification is not needed to obtain a surrender certificate.
- Can I submit an expired passport to get surrender certificate?
Yes, even expired passports can be submitted to get a surrender certificate. However, it must be the latest passport held by the individual. The person won't be permitted to submit canceled, suspended, or revoked passports.
That’s all! This is all you need to know about the Indian passport surrender certificate. We hope this guide on the Indian passport surrender application procedure has given adequate information. If you have any doubts, ask us without any hesitation in the comments space. For more articles about passport application, required certificates, and more, stay tuned to this website.