Just like every other state ration cards, Tamil Nadu states also issues ration cards to the eligible citizens of the state. The primary purpose of issuing a ration card is to give access to the essential food items to the commons that fall under the below poverty line and poorer sections of the society at subsidised rates. Other than for the said purpose the Tamilnadu Ration Card is also used as a proof of identity. It also comes to use while applying for Aadhaar, driving license, PAN Card etc.
Table of Contents
- Tamilnadu Ration Card / TNPDS Ration Card
- Types of Ration Card in Tamilnadu
- Tamil Nadu Ration Card Eligibility
- Documents Required to Apply for Tamilnadu Ration Card
- How to Apply for a Ration Card in Tamil Nadu
- Check Tamilnadu Smart Ration Card Status
- Tamilnadu Ration Card Download
- How to Check Tamilnadu Ration Card List 2021
- How to Register Tamilnadu Ration Card Complaint?
- Tamilnadu Ration Card FAQs
Tamilnadu Ration Card / TNPDS Ration Card
The Public Distribution System (PDS) under the National Food Security Act (NFSA) is the one that takes care of the subsidies provided to the commons. Depending on the number of members in a family, the ration card is issued to the eligible people. The quantity of food grains are given to the family considering the number of family members mentioned on the card. The Tamil Nadu Ration Card contains the names as well as a family photo of the eligible family members. The type of the ration card also decides the quantity of ration granted to the family.
Types of Ration Card in Tamilnadu
Depending on the income of the family, the National Food Security of India has introduced different types of ration cards to the households through which it distributes essential commodities. Each type of card has different types of benefits associated with it. The general Types of Ration Card in Tamilnadu are:
All Commodity Cards
Primarily referred to as Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) ration cards, these are green or yellow in color who want to get rice as a major commodity along with other essentials.
As the name suggests, sugar cards are those issued to the people who prefer to get sugar in place of rice. These card holders can receive anything in the list except for the rice at subsidised price. These are also known as BPL cards. These are saffron colored cards.
No Commodity Cards
These cards are white in colour and issued to those who don’t usually buy any commodities under the PDS. These are APL cards.
Now Tamil Nadu state government has introduced smart cards in place of old ration cards. The smart cards are categorized into PHHRICE, PHHA, NPHH, NPHHS, and NPHHNC. Let us look into the details of each of these cards.
This Priority Household Card is issued to those people who choose Rice as an essential commodity. The benefits are sugar, rice, kerosene, wheat etc.
This particular cardholder will get 35kg rice and other essentials like sugar, kerosene, wheat, oil etc.
NPHH or NPHHL
Tamil nadu people will receive commodities like rice, sugar, kerosene, wheat, oil, toor dal etc.
It stands for Non-Priority Household Sugar card which gives access to sugar alone to the cardholders.
It stands for Non-Priority Household No Commodities and no benefits will be given to the cardholders.
Tamil Nadu Ration Card Eligibility
In order to apply for the TNPDS Ration Card, the following eligibility criteria needs to be satisfied by the cardholder.
- Only Indian citizens are eligible to apply for TN ration card.
- Ordinarily residents of Tamil Nadu are eligible to apply for the card.
- A single person who is living alone for at least one year separately in a residence can apply for a family card.
- The applicant and his/her family should be living and cooking separately.
- The applicant and his/her family must not have a family card which is registered in any other state in India.
- The applicant and his or her family names must not be present in any other family card in the state of Tamil Nadu.
- The applicant and the members of his or her family that are enrolling in the card must be related to each other.
Documents Required to Apply for Tamilnadu Ration Card
Various documents are required for Ration Card Apply Online Tamilnadu. The applicants applying for the TN ration card must possess these documents which need to be submitted along with the application form.
- Residential proof of the applicant.
- Election Photo Identity Card (EPIC) or in case the applicant has a house or property tax payment receipt or Electricity Bill (last month), or Telephone Bill (last month) , or Front Page of Bank Pass Book or passport.
- Valid tenancy agreement in case of rented house.
- Surrender Certificate
- Name Deletion Certificate
- No card certificate
- LPG connection details like name of the customer under whose name the connection is registered.
- Registration number of previous applications if any.
- Contact details such as email ID and mobile phone number to receive direct messages from the department regarding the status of ration card application.
- A self-addressed and stamped postal cover or postcard to enable the office to get in touch with the applicant in relation to the application status.
How to Apply for a Ration Card in Tamil Nadu
There are various methods to apply for ration cards in Tamilnadu. You can use any of them as per your convenience for New Ration Card Apply Online Tamilnadu. The online method as well as mobile app method along with sale device application process are discussed here below. Check them out!
1. Apply Tamilnadu Ration Card Online
Applicants need to follow the steps mentioned below to know the application methods of TNPDS New Ration Card.
- Open the official website of Tamil Nadu Public Distribution System.
- Under the ‘Smart Card Application Services’ section click on ‘Smart Card Application’ option.
- The application form will open in which you will have to fill in all the details as per your knowledge.
- After filling the form, upload the scanned photograph of the head of the family. The scanned photograph should be in .png, .jpeg, .jpg, or .gif format and the file should not exceed the size of 10 kb.
- The proof of residential address has to be uploaded in .jpeg, .jpg., .png, or .pdf formats. The file size should not be more than 100 kb.
- After filling the deets and uploading the necessary documents, check for any possible errors and click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- On successful submission of the form a reference number is generated. Keep the number safe as it will come to use to check the Ration Card Status Tamilnadu.
2. Apply Tamil Nadu Ration Card at Point of Sale Device
The Tamilnadu government has brought before an easy way to apply for ration cards and that is through Point of Sale Device. By using this method people can visit the nearest ration shop and register through a point of sale device. If you want to know How to Apply Ration Card in Tamilnadu using a point of sale device, here are the proofs you have to submit.
- Aadhar Card
- Pan Card
- Recent Size Photography Pass
- Bank book
- Caste / Category certificate
- income certificate
- Electricity bill
3. Apply Tamilnadu Ration Card Through Mobile App
If you want to know How to Apply Ration Card Online in Tamilnadu, here is yet another easy process for you. Users can also make use of the mobile application to apply for a new ration card in the state. The application is available for both Android and iOS devices. By applying through mobile applications, you can save up on your precious time. The process to apply through the mobile is very much the same as the online process.
Check Tamilnadu Smart Ration Card Status
The following steps are to be executed to check the Smart Ration Card Status Tamilnadu.
- Visit the official website of Tamil Nadu Public Distribution System .
- In the homepage find the ‘Smart Card Application Status’ option and click on it.
- The link will take you to a new page where you need to enter the reference number that was generated at the time of online application submission.
- After entering the reference number click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- On submission the status of the application form will be displayed on the screen.
Tamilnadu Ration Card Download
Once the ration card is issued, it can be downloaded online by visiting the official website of TNPDS. The Ration Card Download Tamilnadu can be done by following the steps below.
- Visit the official website of Tamil Nadu Public Distribution System i.e., www.tnpds.gov.in.
- On the top of the page find the ‘Beneficiary’ tab and click on it.
- Login using your registered mobile number and enter the OTP.
- After logging in, you will see your profile.
- Click on the ‘Smart Card Print’ option in there and select the language of your preference.
- Click on the ‘Save’ button to save a PDF version of your smart ration card.
How to Check Tamilnadu Ration Card List 2021
To check the list of Tamilnadu Ration Card Online here are the steps to be followed.
- As usual, open the official website of TNPDS.
- Fill the form with details as prompted like District, City, and Locality.
- It will ultimately display the status of ration card list for 2021.
- Search for your name in the list.
How to Register Tamilnadu Ration Card Complaint?
To register a complaint about any issue you are facing with your ration card or something else, you can do it online from the TNPDS official website.
- Go to TNPDS official website.
- Click on the “Register a Complaint” option on the homepage.
- A new page opens where you have to write a written complaint in the given slot and enter your name, mobile number and email id. You have to choose the classification in which your complaint falls in and hit the submit button.
Tamilnadu Ration Card FAQs
How to add new member in ration card online in Tamilnadu?
To add a new member in the ration card, visit the TNPDS web portal. On the homepage of the website you can find “Card Related Service Request” under the useful links section. Click on the “Add or Remove Members in Smart Card” option. It will open a form and fill the details of the new family member. Upload the necessary documents and submit.
How to apply ration card for newly married in tamilnadu?
The newly married couple should remove their respective names from their old ration cards and should apply for a new ration card. Documents to be submitted to apply for a ration card for newly married couples are Marriage Certificate and Name deletion certificate along with the application for a new ration card.
How to register mobile number in ration card tamilnadu online?
If you own a ration card in Tamilnadu, but you don't have your mobile number registered yet, you have to contact the helpdesk numbers 1967/1800-425-5901.
Well, this is all about the Tamilnadu Ration Card as of now. Hope the information we have provided here catered to your requirements well. If you have any queries regarding the Tamil Nadu Ration card, you can leave the questions in the comments section below. We shall answer them as soon as possible. Stay in touch with our website MoneyCompass to get more updates on ration cards.